ACPI disables network (why?)

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 20:27:20 UTC 2006

On Friday 31 March 2006 21:59, Peter wrote:
> Here is what I have for "irq".  It looks like irq 22 is being
> overused.
>
> $ dmesg | grep irq
> ioapic0 <Version 1.1> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
> ohci0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> mem 0xfc003000-0xfc003fff irq
> 22 at device 2.0 on pci0
> ohci1: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> mem 0xfc004000-0xfc004fff irq
> 21 at device 2.1 on pci0
> ehci0: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> mem 0xfc005000-0xfc0050ff
> irq 20 at device 2.2 on pci0
> pcm0: <nVidia nForce3 250> port 0xe000-0xe07f,0xdc00-0xdcff mem
> 0xfc001000-0xfc001fff irq 22 at device 6.0 on pci0
> nvidia0: <GeForce FX 5500> mem
> 0xe0000000-0xefffffff,0xf8000000-0xf8ffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
> pci1
> skc0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem
> 0xfb000000-0xfb003fff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci2
> fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f7,0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on
> acpi0
> sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10
> on acpi0
> sio1: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
> ppc0: <Standard parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on
> acpi0 atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on
> acpi0 atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0

Not necessarily, I counted two uses. On one of my computers, irq 19 is
used 4 times. There's only so many irq's available, sometimes some of
them are shared. The problem is when some devices don't want to share.

Do 'dmesg | grep storm', and 'dmesg | grep throt' that will tell you
what irq has the problem and something is being shutdown. Then you can
do 'dmesg | grep <irq from above>' to find what devices are using that
irq and determine what to do. With my computers I have found a bad usb
mouse (dam' microsloth product, should have known better), some devices
that couldn't be plugged into the usb2.0 ports I have, they had to be
plugged into usb1.1 ports only, a modem that I thought was shot but
would work like a champ by repositioning it on the pci bus, and some
NICs that would work best by repositioning.

I also found out, what FreeBSD likes, Windows XP doesn't necessarily
like. After I got everything straightened around for FreeBSD-STABLE,
Windows XP took a 1/2 hour to come up, booting up with the XP install
disc took about the same. It still did it after a fresh install of XP.
so, I told my wife: "Windows is shot, Microsoft wans me to call them to
get a new number which won't help. You don't do anything on Windows
that you can't do as well as or better on FreeBSD. I can't tell exactly
what's wrong, Microsoft doesn't want me to know, FreeBSD thinks I want
to know. I'm pulling the plug on windows and their money grubbing ways.
By the way, I do give FreeBSD lessons, but pay attention or you'll have
to learn on your own." Yeah, one less Windows XP installation to worry
about. Of course, I didn't figure out a reason (for myself) for what
was happening with Windows XP till later.

You're probably going to have to put your NIC in a different slot.

Don