ATA Drive Issues

wc_fbsd at xxiii.com wc_fbsd at xxiii.com
Sat Apr 1 19:18:43 UTC 2006

At 05:52 PM 3/31/2006, fbsd_user wrote:
>Hay I am ran ata HD on 5.4 and now on 6.0 with out any
>problems.  Your problems may be caused by your HD starting to go bad.

You didn't say if you're running plain [parrallel] ATA or Serial
ATA.  Nearly two years ago I tried to replace our Samba file server
with a new box running SATA with the Adaptec controller (1210??)
based on the SiI 3112 chipset (same one ragged on here a couple days
ago) and FBSD 5.something.  Never made it into production -- same
hangs you describe.

I filed this issue:
kern/70379: System hangs under heavy disk IO with SiI 3112 SATA150

There were a couple related fixes, but none completely cured it.  I
switched to a Promise SATA controller, and the problem was lessened
to the point the machine was usable.  But I can still make it hang
just tar'ing a file system to a tar file on the same drive.

Just bought a new Dell SC430 with SATA to replace the whole
thing.  Running 6.0 for a week now, and it seems solid.  It's all
Intel electronics:  atapci0: <Intel ICH7 UDMA100 controller>.  Don't
know if the controllers are junk, or it's a FBSD issue.  Once the new
machine is swapped in, I plan to experiment with 6.0 on the old one to see.

    -Wayne