freebsd rocks

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Sat Apr 1 15:24:01 UTC 2006

People,

I've been using Linux for some time, and decided to try out FreeBSD on my home
server. I would like to thank all contributors for the quality of the product,
and the community. My questions have always been answered helpfully. Out of
the box, the server reports its health to me regularly and those reports are
easy to extend. For a Unix hacker like myself, the environment is wonderful,
and easy to maintain.

I'm not pleased with the direction that much of Linux is taking. Daemons
managing files traditionally managed by people. Help stored in man, info, html
and God knows what else. I could go on but I'm sure you know well already.

On FreeBSD, my NIC driver has a manpage. Astonishing, and helpful. Not
everything is a dream, but the community is helping make me comfortable. This
is what Unix felt like when I first touched it.

Kudos.

Mike

direction." --Albert Einstein