Video on webservers

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Sat Apr 1 13:41:53 UTC 2006

<snip>

> "Darryl Hoar" <darryl at osborne-ind.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> > I have my own freebsd box that is a webserver (running apache).
> > My wife has a family oriented website on this server.  She
> has videos
> > that she has taken with dvd camcorder.  She used Ulead on her
> > windows machine to create mpg files but 6 minutes generates 200MB
> > files.
> >
> > What is a good technique to provide video's on a website ?
>
> Putting it on the webserver.
>
> However, I expect that there's another, hidden question here.  What is
> the problem that you're having?  Perhaps I'm slow today, but it seems
> like you're saying: "I'm going to do this, is that OK?"  If that's the
> case, then the answer is "yes".
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

What I mean is that the video files she is generating from the dvd camcorder
are huge for just a few minutes of video.  Since these files are huge, you
can't realistically view them from the links on the webserver.

Since I am not a video guy, I was wondering if there was a better method to
provide these videos from our webserver.

Is streaming video the way to go?  Or some variation of what I have tried ?

I know it can be done as I view video from websites all the time.

Thanks for any ideas ,
Darryl