How to upgrade samba version to 3.0.22

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Apr 1 12:45:01 UTC 2006

Jeffrey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using FreeBSD 6 and install samba from ports collection
> /usr/ports/net/samba3. The "make install" download and install samba
> 3.0.14a. I noticed samba has new version 3.0.22. How can I instal the
> new verion?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeffrey

There are many different ways to accomplish that feat. To update Samba
plus all of its prerequisites, etc., first update your ports
collection. If you need help with that task, just ask.

Next, install portmanager '/usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager' and then run
it as follows (as root obviously):

portmanager net/samba3 -l -f

That should take care of your problems as well as creating a log file
in '/var/log' that you can inspect later if you so desire. You could
omit the 'f' switch if you desire. It forces all of the dependencies to
be rebuilt if required.

You might also want to consider just using this syntax:

portmanager -u -l -y -f

It will update all installed ports on your system in the correct order
and with the proper dependencies.

HTH

--
Gerard Seibert