Which xorg driver/setup to use to get all the buttons for a Logitech MX518

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 1 03:40:08 UTC 2006

Jim Stapleton wrote:

>Aye, it's got a lot of buttons, and I've tried transferring several of
>the config settings, however, none of the drivers they pointed to seem
>to exist in BSD, and they also pointed to devices, again nonexistant
>in bsd.
>
>example, one involves the following:
>
>Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
>Option "Protocol" "evdev"
>

>If I try to use evdev, x refuses to start, and says said module does
>not exist in the log file. The other variants I've seen have similar
>modules that I can't find and won't load.
>
>Thanks,
>-Jim
>

>On 3/31/06, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:13:49 -0500
>>"Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I've googled the problem in general, tried looking around xorg and
>>>this site, but I couldn't find any useful information on getting my
>>>MX518 working with all of it's buttons in BSD (were I to downgrade
>>>back to Linux, I could, but I'd rather not do that, ports is much more
>>>useful than the extra three buttons).
>>>

>>Hey Jim
>>i suppose this is a logitech mouse with lots of buttons? if you know it
>>works with linux, why not transfer the config from linux to freebsd? (u
>>dont need to install anything, just try knoppix). It should work out of
>>the box (I believe moused is same across platforms, and xorg shouldn't
>>worry too much about what OS it's being used under).
>>
>>otherwise, have u read man moused ?
>>
>>beto

    Many people in Linux (at least), use imwheel for utilizing all mouse
buttons on their mice, unless they use an internal X program to set the
values for 'key strokes' obtained from the mouse by themselves (kind of
a royal pain, if you ask me). Try searching for "imwheel gentoo" on
google if imwheel's included in ports (don't have my FreeBSD machine in
front of me right now to verify).
    Also, if you're looking for the codes for your mouse's buttons, try
using xev.
-Garrett