6.0 APCI Config & PMAP

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sat Apr 1 02:02:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:55:29 -0800
"Don O'Neil" <don at lizardhill.com> wrote:

> I am 'burning in' some hardware and drives before putting them into
> production using various tools (raidtest, etc...) and have a couple of
> questions..
>
> Occasionally under high load when doing the raid test, I see:
>
> collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC
>
> What does this mean, and what should I change it to to correct the
> problem? I also get the occasional error that it couldn't write to
> the device (twed) ... Everything seems to work ok though.

google? :)

anyway:
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
$ less NOTES
[....]
#
# Set the number of PV entries per process.  Increasing this can
# stop panics related to heavy use of shared memory.  However, that can
# (combined with large amounts of physical memory) cause panics at
# boot time due the kernel running out of VM space.
#
# If you're tweaking this, you might also want to increase the sysctls
# "vm.v_free_min", "vm.v_free_reserved", and "vm.v_free_target".
#
# The value below is the one more than the default.
#
options         PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201

[...]
> Also, my motherboards APCI is horribly broken, I can boot ok without
> APCI if I select option 2 from the boot menu (it's a 'stock' 6.0
> install). How do I configure the system to boot without APCI
> automatically?

(FAQ)
/boot/device.hints,  change the following lines to
### APM vs ACPI
hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

/boot/loader.conf.local:
apm_load="YES"

(that's to enable APM instead of ACPI - if not a laptop, u can have
both off). ACPI shouldn't be compiled into the kernel, of coure.

good luck,
Beto