UPS

Igor Robul igorr at speechpro.com
Thu Sep 29 22:52:07 PDT 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
>> I am not looking for anything extraordinary. Just something, that can
>> gracefully shut down my system if I lose power. An occurrence that
>> transpires habitually in the northeast USA when I reside,
>

> Your bog-standard APC brand plus sysutils/apcupsd port works fine for
> me for less than, say 3000 volt-ampere UPS.  If you're going to get
> something bigger, look at Leviton or Powerware.

I _do not_ recommend PowerWare. Their UPSes work fine, but their
software is not compatible with recent versions of FreeBSD (5.X, 6.X).
They have only Linux version of software, which worked fine with FreeBSD
4.X, but does not work as expected with FreeBSD 5.X (timeouts while
connecting to daemon), even more, their software coredumps on recent
versions of Mandrake Linux. And Powerware 9125 (and newer)  is not
supported by sysutils/nut because communication protocol is closed.