Backup

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Sep 27 11:40:13 PDT 2005

> Hi list,
>
> can I make a copy using dd command from a HD scsi
> Maxtor 36 GB to a HD IDE Sansung 40 GB ?

You can, but you probably do not want to.
Although you don't say much about what you are trying to do,
I am guessing you want to "duplicate" the 36 GB disk on the 40 GB
drive.   Since they are not identical, they will not be true
duplicate copies.   But, you don't really need that.  You probably
really need the file structure on the new drive, not the byte by byte
copy.

So, fdisk and disklabel/bsdlabel the new drive to create the
slice and partition set that you want - probably each the same as on
the old one but just a few bytes bigger.   Make at least one slice
with fdisk and one partition with disklabel/bsdlabel - more if your
design needs them.

Then newfs the partition[s] to make filesystem[s].

Make mount point[s] for the new filesystem[s] and mount it/them.  You can
put it/them in /etc/fstab, but if they are only temporary mount point[s],
you don't need to.

Then dump [each of] the old file system[s] and restore it/them in to
the new file systems.   Note that you need to be CD-ed in to the
new file system for the restore to do what you want.
So, lets say you are transferring your partition that is normally
mounted as /usr.
You created a filesystem and mounted it as /newusr
Then  cd /newusr
      dump -0af - /usr | restore -rf -

This will get you a functionally identical copy of the disk
but also correct for the different drives.

////jerry