file name case issue on fat32 (Was: Re: Sharing data files on a dual-boot machine ...)

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Sep 27 08:35:26 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 15:56, Micah wrote:
> The directory structure of fat32 is still the same as from dos.  In
> order to create long filenames, Windows uses subsequent directory
> entries to store the extra filename characters.  If a filename fits the
> 8.3 format, Windows (at least Win98) does not bother to create the extra
> entries for the long filename record.  If there's no ong filename
> record, how can FreeBSD use the long filename?

The files in question are shown as having names like A.txt in windows, ie
mixed case. The Dos directory command always shows completly uppercase names
for the 8.3 names

I have plenty of 8.3 files that dos DIR shows as having uppercase 8.3 names
*and* mixed/lower-case full names. So either dos/windows does create the
extra-filename for files with an 8.3 name format, or it stores the mixed-case
name in the legacy 8.3 field in it's  case and DIR converts to uppercase.

Either way around the case that is found by FreeBSD should be the same as if
it were reading a long-filename.