mysql port install

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Sep 26 13:05:48 PDT 2005

eoghan wrote:

> Hello
> Im having a problem getting mysql (version 4.1.14) to work. Im
> installing
> from ports, which was updated today. Each time i try #>mysql
> is get: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server
> through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> mysql.sock isnt in /tmp/ which is a problem. The manual and
> searches  say that this means the server usually isnt running,
> so type mysqld  to start it. But i just get command not found.
> The only reference to  mysqld is in /usr/local/man/man1/mysql.1.gz
> I was wondering if someone had any luck getting this port
> installed?  Im using freeBSD 5.3 by the way.
> Thanks
> Eoghan

<<Surely this is a FAQ by now, and a search of the
list archives would provide the answer.  In particular,
this is _not_ hackers@ material, which might account for
the fact that I'm sounding a little terse here.  It's nothing
personal, I assure you.  I'm redirecting the cc to the appropriate
list.>>

Look for a "mysql-server.sh" script under /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  As root,
type "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start".  The server *should*
start.

To make sure it does, add "mysql_enable=YES" to /etc/rc.conf.
This is part of the "RCng" system, and it's mentioned about
a hundred-eleventy times in ***/usr/ports/UPDATING***.  (Didja
read that one? ;-)

mysqld doesn't live in your $PATH on a FreeBSD system, so
you can't expect to call it with simply "mysqld".  For its own
reasons, AFAIK, it's at /usr/local/libexec/mysqld....

I have one server from a long time ago where I simply started
MySQL from cron(8) thus (which goes to show that I had similar
issues once upon a time and shouldn't be too hard on a newb, eh?):

@reboot   /usr/local/libexec/mysqld -u mysql
--pid-file=/usr/local/var/secure.pid -h /var/db/mysql/ &

So, whatever boils your fish is fine.  But *lots* of us have MySQL
working.  ;-)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey