Kernel Compiling Problems...

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Sep 26 11:46:25 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 03:32:25PM -0400, Robert Mendal wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to make a custom kernel for my system for the first time
> > and I'm having some problems. I followed the directions in the FreeBSD
> > Handbook and printed my dmesg.boot file for reference as well. I don't
> > believe I deleted or commented out anytihng that would be causing the error
> > but I'm not really sure. The "configure" and "make depend" processes went
> > fine. The error occurs during the "make" process.
> > The error I receive is: ERROR code 1 (Undefined references to 'xpt_done')
> >  The error is repeated for a number of things, most of which speed past the
> > screen before I can identify them.
> >  If anyone can give me some advice as to what I did wrong that would be much
> > appreciated. Attached are my kernel conf file and my dmesg.boot file if they
> > help any.
>
> You did omit something important..probably you didn't read the comment
> that says that umass requires scsi support.
>
> Kris
>
> P.S. This question comes up every few days, so a search of the
> archives would surely have answered it for you.

I occasionally consider adding dependency information to something in
the config(8) chain, but I haven't come up with an easy enough way to
do it.  The best idea I've had is to export "device" information
similarly to "option" values.  Then the device's compile stage could
test its dependencies and give a clear error message.