boot on CD?

Michael W. Holdeman lists at ptfd.org
Mon Sep 26 08:40:12 PDT 2005

OK so my proliant 3000 server will not boot to the ide HD that I have
successfully loaded FreeBSD 6 beta on 3 times. So what if (and most
improtantly HOW) I create a CD with the / and /etc on it that would get the
kernel, and the config files from /etc, then once the kernel finds the ide
hd, the /usr and /home could stay on teh HD?

Does this make any sense? I just want to boot the 3000 far enough for it to
recognize the ide HD and then switch to it for the rest. And it does find it
when it shows the drives during the boot sequence with the install CD in.

Mike
--

Michael W. Holdeman