Challenge: LTO2 autoloader with freebsd?!

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Sep 22 07:43:42 PDT 2005

mdff wrote:

>we are planning for a central backup solution.
>this will be a hp proliant dl380 with a scsi-
>attached autoloader 1/8 from HP with an integrated
>LTO2 drive.
>
>is it possible to setup backup mechanisms, that
>load 1 tape per day into the drive and run the
>backup automatically?

Hmm, running a backup automatically is easy.  When
you say "mechanism", though, you mean some_thing_,
instead of some_one_, inserts the tape each day.  I dunno
about that.  I would assume the hardware vendor might
give me some help, but you never can tell with the big
boys these days.  There's no software with the device?

>is there any software like veritas that could
>be used under freebsd (no graphics preferred)?

Well:

[kadmin at archangel][~/scripts]
cd /usr/ports && make search key="backup" | grep Port: | wc -l
      32

 --- so there's about 32 programs in the Ports Collection that
probably have to do with backups.  That's not counting the usual
suspects on every 'Nix-like system, such as tar, pax, dump, cpio
and friends... in particular, I *think* the "like veritas" solutions
would include bacula (in ports) and AMANDA (I *don't* think it's
in ports, check the University of Maryland/Google, etc.).

See also the backup chapter in the FreeBSD Handbook.  Aside
from the auto-loading hardware, this is pretty basic stuff.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey