AMD Sempron CPUTYPE & Co.

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Sep 21 23:43:42 PDT 2005

Andrew P. wrote:

>Hello!
>
>So I have a Sempron 2500+ CPU, one that supports
>SSE3. What should I place in my /etc/make.conf? I use
>ssh with X11Forward very often, so OpenSSL should
>be compiled to be as fast as it can be on this CPU.
>Here's a part of dmesg:
>
>CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2500+
>(1407.05-MHz 686-class CPU)
>Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x20fc2  Stepping = 2
>
>  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,
>PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,
>PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
>  Features2=0x1<SSE3>
>  AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,
><b25>,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
>
>I want to use SSE3, but I don't want to set CPUTYPE
>to nocona, cause that way compilers won't ever use
>AMD features. Is there a way to tell compilers to use
>every feature I've got?
>

>Thanks very much,
>Andrew P.

man make.conf and man gcc

You will be limited by the gcc version on FreeBSD.  You can use gcc 4
for your apps, and all that SSE and 3DNow  stuff is not currently
allowed in the kernel.

I remember ready, maybe on slashdot, where a man did very little work to
do a native port of ssh to native amd64 code and got a hugh speed
boost.  Making sure you get a optimized version os ssh like what I
described will make a much bigger difference than just adding amd64 as
your cp type to make.conf.

Jason