IE in FreeBSD?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Sep 20 09:02:19 PDT 2005

jonas wrote:

>hi!
>
>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:24:38 +0100
>RW <list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com> wrote:
>

>>Because it's common for companies and recruitment agencies to specify
>>MS Word documents only. It's a de facto standard.
>>

>this may be a bit offtopic :) ...
>but i think we agree that this situation is not good.
>is there any 'official' standard for office documents like there is for
>html, css, xml etc.?

Probably there are several "official" standards.  If Microsoft ever
invades the EU and wins, then there will be one ;-)

More seriously:

[kadmin at archangel][~]
# file fooresume.doc
fooresume.doc: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI

  --- seems to indicate that the "American National Standards
Institute" has a standard for "Rich Text Format", which IIRC,
was invented by Microsoft many a long year ago....  see, for
example: http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/RTF-Spec-1.0.txt

>if not, are there any efforts to create one?
>if such a standard would be created by an international institution and
>for example governments start/plan using it MS would be forced to adapt
>it...

Hmm, I sort of doubt it.  Not unless they actually *lost* a lawsuit.
And their "RTF" has already been "standardized", hrm?

Anyway....

FWIW, both TextMaker (www.softmaker.de) and AbiWord (and
I'm sure probably Star Office, Open Office, Koffice, etc.) make
a decent *.doc file that looks good in the versions of MS Word
I have around here.  I don't know about the latest "Office this year"
though.  A major complaint with MS it that *.doc is quite a moving
target ... and of course, they aren't publishing on sourceforge.net....

Kevin Kinsey