Sendmail not listening correctly

Peter Matulis petermatulis at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 19 22:27:57 PDT 2005

--- Mike Loiterman <mike at ascendency.net> wrote:

This looks to me like the correct combination (to be put in /etc/rc.conf):

> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"

> I get the following errors in my messages.log
>
> NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket: daemon MTA: server SMTP socket
> wedged: exiting

First, keep in mind that these parameters only define how sendmail starts when the system is
rebooted.

Second, stop any sendmail processes.

Third, start sendmail with the correct cf (config) file.  It should be /etc/mail/freebsd.cf.
It is created from /etc/mail/freebsd.mc.  The former is for sendmail only (do not peek) and the
latter is for you to read.  When submit_only is ON, freebsd.submit.cf (generated from
freebsd.submit.mc) is used.  You should investigate the mc files and learn how to generate cf
files from them.