Starting kdm

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Mon Sep 19 19:21:19 PDT 2005

stan wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the current way (on a 4.11 STABLE machine)
> of having kdm startup on boot. Surpisingly neither the handbook,
> nor a Google search really led me anywhere on this, and I don't
> see a script for this in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
> Do I put it in /etc/tys? If so what's teh proper invocation?

Handbook reads (I assume it applies to 4.11 as well):

5.7.3.1 The KDE Display Manager
<snip lots>
Now, make sure kdm is listed in /etc/ttys to be started at the next
bootup. To do this, simply follow the instructions from the previous
section on XDM and replace references to the /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm program
with /usr/local/bin/kdm.

"Previous Section" reads:
5.6.2 Using XDM

The XDM daemon program is located in /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm. This program
can be run at any time as root and it will start managing the X display
on the local machine. If XDM is to be run every time the machine boots
up, a convenient way to do this is by adding an entry to /etc/ttys. For