Install GRUB for FreeBSD

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Sep 18 18:18:37 PDT 2005

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> It starts out on a floppy file system.  Then you either
> just boot off the floppy, or you install it to the hard disk MBR,
> other first-track sectors, and maybe your OS's root FS.  I don't
> recall if you need a menu.lst or not.  That is, I don't know if
> Grub can be installed only to the first track, or needs the
> menu.lst in an FS; it seems like a bad requirement, if so.

In order for grub to work as a menu, it requires a stage 2 loader that
resides somewhere on your hardrive outside of the MBR.  It's my
understanding that grub was too big to fit just in the MBR and that
necessitated this arrangement.  If you don't mind manually typing in
commands such as root(hdx,x,x) and kernel /boot/loader then you don't
need grub installed anywhere other than the MBR.  Though the ufs stage
1.5 might cause problems with freebsd in that regard. I haven't tried
grub without /some/ aspect of it installed to a freebsd partition.

Later,
Micah