Install GRUB for FreeBSD

jonas jonas.de.buhr at gmx.net
Sun Sep 18 09:53:51 PDT 2005

hi!

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:08:08 -0400 (EDT)
John Do <pcbsdguy at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Anyone know how to install GRUB for FreeBSD when you
> can't boot to it?

you need at least one bootable operating system. try a livecd if youre
system doesnt boot at all.

> I even installed GRUB into MBR and the BSD bootloader
> won't go away! :(

make sure you install it to the correct disk!

> Someone please tell me what the best way to install
> grub is
>
> I guess you need it in the MBR but where will the
> menu.lst be stored?

AFAIK grub has problems with reading ufs (please correct me if i'm
wrong! maybe it's just because my grub version is a bit old ;) ).
you can get around this by putting the grub config on a partition grub
can read (like ext2fs or fat32) and then just chainload the freebsd
loader installed into the freebsd partition. of course this is not the
best solution but it works for me :)

greets,
jonas