icecast, ices

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sun Sep 18 08:42:06 PDT 2005

Cristian Mijea wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Trying to build a live music broadcast server on freebsd. So far I
> used (at least I gave it a try) Icecast for broadcast and ices to
> supply icecast with the actual stream. As I said I never heard a sound
> broadcasted.  Somehow ices cannot cope with icecast on my machine.
> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone did this before (or using something
> else) and if anyone can give me some ideas on this.
>
> Tks,
> Cristian

Hi. Are you trying to stream files from your computer to the Icecast
server, or do you mean live audio from a soundcard input?

If you want to stream files, then Ices should work pretty good. If you
want to stream live from the soundcard input, then I would try a program
called MuSE. It's in ports (/usr/ports/audio/muse), and it is best run
from the command line (the GUI gave some weird sound skipping problems
for me). I use it for live shows and it works really well.

-Mark