[Samba] getent & winbindd on FreeBSD 5.4

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 16 12:00:57 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Sep 16), Doug Sampson said:
> > FreeBSD doesn't come with a getent program.  I was able to compile
> > OpenSolaris' getent on FreeBSD with minimal problems, though.  You'll
> > have to remove support for ipnodes, project, and netmasks since those
> > are Solaris-specific, remove the gettext code, and you'll need to
> > provide a "putpwent" function (I used
> > /usr/src/usr.sbin/pw/pwupd.c:fmtpwentry() instead ).
> >
> > http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/usr/src/cmd/getent/
>
> I found the source for getent in
> /usr/ports/net/samba3/work/samba-3.0.20/testsuite/nsswitch (see file
> listing:)
>
> and I ran 'gcc -o getent getent.c' to create the getent command. I
> then moved it to /usr/local/sbin and ran 'getent passwd'. The output
> still doesn't produce the list of domain users- only the local users.
> Hm? I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I am flying blindly
> on this as I am relatively new to *nix in general (huge learning
> curve). Can you verify that I'm doing this correctly?

Yes, that getent command should suffice for printing users and groups,
including any NSS-provided ones.  You can also use the 'id' or 'pw user
show' commands to print similar info.

> I am starting to wonder if my problem isn't related to getent but
> elsewhere. I read on the 'Net that FreeBSD finally provided NSS
> support starting with version 5.0. I also wonder if I'm not
> configuring my PAM modules correctly. See my earlier mail re:
> nsswitch.conf and /etc/pam.d/login.

PAM only handles authentication during login; looking up user/group
names is handled by NSS.  If your nsswitch.conf has "passwd: compat
winbind" in it, you have a /usr/local/lib/nss_winbind.so.1 file, and
getent can't find users that windbind should be providing, I'd start
looking for nss_winbind debugging options.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com