upgrade HDD

Micah Lieske micahjon at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 16 07:09:24 PDT 2005

Scott wrote:
> I have a FBSD 4.10 install on a machine that the HDD has become full.
> I would like to replace the drive with a larger one so does anyone
> know any howtos on how to do a disk to disk transfer?
>
> I've down this with Linux before... copied the partitions over in
> single user mode and reinstalled the boot manager although I suspect
> there's some differences with FBSD as I've never replaced a disk on it
> before.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Scott.

I see while I was typing this someone posted a FreeBSD howto.

My simple procedure was to:

* Make sure you have an install CD handy with the live filesystem, just
in case you screw something up. :)
* Make the slices and partitions on the new drive using sysinstall.
* Mount them somewhere one at a time (say mount /dev/ad???? /mnt/newroot)
* Use rsync to copy the files over to the new partition (in ports under
net/rsync).  I used rsync -avx src/ dst (man rsync for details).  Other
tools can be used too.  I copied a linux installation once using plain
old cp.
* Adjust the fstab entries on the new partition to point to the new
drive.  If you remove the old drive you /may/ not need to do this.
* Possibly reinstall the boot manager.  Can't help you on FreeBSD's boot
manager because I use grub.  I think sysinstall will ask about
installing it when you do the slices/partitions.

HTH,
Micah