2nd monitor not powering up (stuck in standby)

Scott Madley scott.madley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:15:55 PDT 2005

Slightly weird problem. I'm running a 5.4-current dual-head Xinerama setup
(using two Nvidia FX5500 PCI cards). Powered off my box to move. Powered up
box. Second monitor is now stuck in standby state (appears to be not be
receiving signal from the motherboard). Monitor that doesn't work is
orginally terminated to card in pci slot#2. Remove all the video cards,
throw a single card in pci slot #2, get signal. Throw second video card in
unused slot (try both #1 and #3), second monitor doesn't get signal. I've
verified both monitors are good. Box in question is a Dell Dimension 8400.

Dmesg indicates that it detects both cards, xorg config file is good. I've
got the latest video drivers, a and pretty recent Xorg version. I've reset
BIOS, I've verified from what I can tell that FreeBSD isn't doing anything
stupid. Other then thinking it may be a power issue, I'm pretty much
stumped.

So has anyone seen something similar to this? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
/madley