Can I do this?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Sep 15 19:39:12 PDT 2005

Lisa Casey wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I posted earlier today about setting up a FreeBSD 5.3 box to replace a 3.2
>box. I've got the 5.3 set up on a different IP address (for now) and apache
>and bind seem to be working OK. All the web sites and DNS zone files are
>transferred over. Tomorrow I need to change the IP address of this box to
>the IP that the 3.2 box is currently on, remove the 3.2 box from the network
>and make sure the new one actually does OK in production.

Glad to hear it.

>What's the quickest & easiest way to change the IP address on the new 5.3
>box? Should I do it via /stand/sysinstall or should I change it in
>/etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts (or do I need to do something with ifconfig -
>which I'm least comfortable with).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lisa Casey

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the boss is a cheapskate and
we have a RealTek 8139 NIC (just one).  As root, of course:

$ifconfig rl0 down

 --- the interface is "off".

$ifconfig rl0 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0

 --- the interface is back "up" at the address 1.2.3.4.  You'll want to use
your assigned IP and netmask (your upstream should know what this
is if you don't --- but of course, it's the same as the old box, right?)

Also enter it in /etc/rc.conf in this format:

ifconfig_rl0="1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0"

You're good as gold at the next reboot.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey