port builds: selective compiler options for each port?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Wed Sep 14 09:40:49 PDT 2005

Hello.

I run into trouble on building some ports in FreeBSD 6.0. Those troubles
are not the same on each portbuild, sometimes it is a compiler option,
sometimes it is an option for the relocation of data directories and so on.

For instance I tried building Open Office 1.1.5 without JAVA support. On
my lab's box I use CPUTYPE=prescott and everything runs well and smoth
but not OO due the fact it gets compiled via an older GCC and this
compiler also gathers its options from /etc/make.conf as the system
compiler does.

For a simple and single portbuild changing /etc/make.conf or applying
the appropriate make options seems not to be a high cost effort, but
doing so via an automated portupgrade let me run into some trouble! The
most 'popular' ports for those troubles are OO and MySQL. Since one of
the prior port changes to MySQL, the variable for the database directory
vanished and got hardwired to /var/db/database but on our server
infrastructure we use another path for the databases. But MySQL is
another type of weirdness and senseless changes.

My question is: Is there a way to obtain each port's buildprocess its
own environment? It seems that there is no standard and consistent
concept of how flags should be named (WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=yes on the
other hand, BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes on the other).

Thank you,
Oliver