startx doesn't recognize Modeline in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Sep 14 07:41:40 PDT 2005

bob self wrote:

> FreeBSD 6.0 beta 4
> nvidia video card, LCD monitor.
>
> I ran startx as root, then xorgcfg to configure ModeLine.
>
> xorgcfg did write a ModeLine statement to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I then restarted 'startx' but there is no difference in the
> display. The desktop is shifted a little to the right.
> With xorgcfg I can shift it back to the left. Why isn't the modeline
> recognized in xorg.conf?
>
> thanks,
> Bob

Two possibilities immediately come to mind, but there could
be more.

1.  the X server isn't using the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  A check
of the logfiles should verify or negate this hypothesis.

2.  xorgcfg got the ModeLine wrong.  AFAIK it's not infallible.
Of course, neither am I, so I generally rely on plenty of experimentation.
There are people, however, to whom it's not such a Big Deal.

Kevin Kinsey