Setting a serial port

vdemart1 at tin.it vdemart1 at tin.it
Wed Sep 14 02:08:13 PDT 2005

I have a freebsd 5.4 box whose only serial port /dev/cuaa0 is to be
connected:
1) during the morning at a modem for regular internet
connections and
2) at night at an elettromedical appliance with a
serial port from which regular signals are emitted at specific time
inervals of 10 secs.
As far as point 2) is concerned I want to read the
stream of data with a statistical software called R for successive
computations.
The problem is that R can read from whatever file (e.g.
with the command "scan" from /dev/cuaa0) but it doesn't have any way to
set the parameters of the connection (9600,N,8,1).
Therefore I need to
set the parameters of connection of /dev/cuaa0  before launching R from
the console.
I read some docs in the Internet to be more confused than
ignoring them....

How could I set the parameters of connection of
/dev/cuaa0 under a console?
(I mean something similar to the Linux
"setserial" command)

Ciao