cp fails copying file from ext2 partition

Chantry Xavier x.chantry at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 13 07:53:26 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've an external usb hard drive using ext2 filesystem, mounted in /mnt/usb (/dev/da0s1 on /mnt/usb (ext2fs, local)).
I can't copy any non empty files from the ext2 partition to somewhere else (the ext2 partition itself or my local freebsd filesystem).
# cd /mnt/usb
# echo "foo" > file
# cp file file2
cp: file: Invalid argument

cp creates an empty file2 instead of a file containing "foo".
If the source file is empty, cp creates an empty target file without displaying any errors.

I tried with another ext2 partition I had on a local hard disk, it failed the same way.

Note that mv works just fine, so as a workaround, I can move the file to my local hard disk, then copy it again to the ext2 partition.
midnight commander works just fine too, I guess it isnt using cp directly, maybe cpio.

Output of uname -a :
FreeBSD mybox.maison 6.0-BETA4 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA4 #3: Sun Sep 11 18:01:53 CEST 2005     xav at mybox.maison:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386

Cheers,
	Xav