Can't get pc-card working under 5.4

uwe at brechlin.de uwe at brechlin.de
Sat Sep 10 13:09:29 PDT 2005

I have spent several hours now trying to get a Netgear MA 401 pccard running on my Acer Aspire 1310 with FreeBSD 5.4. It worked fine with 5.4 on another laptop of mine and the card is still working perfectly with Ubuntu Linux, so it seems that either my Laptop does not like 5.4 or I have configured something wrongly. I have used both the GENERIC and a customized kernel.

The pccard itself seems to be identified fine. Dmesg says:
cbb0: <02Micro 0Z6912/6972 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xc000000-0xc000fff irq 11 at device 10.0 on pci0
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on dbb0

But the card is not recognised (actually it seems that no Pccard is recognised). When  I do:
# pccardc dumpcis
0 slots found

When I try to kldload if_wi I get warnings of this type:
module_register: module pccard/wi already exists!
Module pccard/wi failed to register: 17!
module_register: module pci/wi already exists!
Module pci/wi failed to register: 17!

I have googled for hours and tried very many different things but I can't find the right hint to why pccards are not found/registered. I would be so happy if someone could give me a clue on what I should do.

Thanks,
Uwe.