GCC snapshots and the ports collection

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Sat Sep 10 04:41:21 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have two issues with selecting the appropriate version of gcc:

1, There is the port net/verlihub, that needs gcc 3.3 that is broken
under amd64. What solution do You recommend? I haven't used the
compatibility layer yet, but what if I make buildworld/installworld to
enable the compatibility layer? Is there any way to cross-compile ports
similar to "make TARGET_ARCH=i386 buildworld"? Is this macro usable with
ports collection like "cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc33 && make TARGET_ARCH=i386
install"?

2, There are gcc snapshots in the ports collection like lang/gcc34,
lang/gcc40, lang/gcc41, but there aren't releaes, just snapshots. Are
these gcc snapshots as reliable as the releases are? Can I use for
instance lang/gcc34 for production goals instead of the stock compiler,
or is it just for development/testing usage?

Cheers,

Gabor Kovesdan