ipfw out xmit trouble

Cheng Jin chengjin at cs.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 10 00:48:40 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have an ethernet bridging [xl0 fxp0] set up like the following

outside world --- [xl0 fxp0] --- test machine

xl0 and fxp0 are the two interfaces on the bridging machine.
xl0 has an IP address (could this be the source of the problem?),
but fxp0 doesnt.

I would like to simulate a DSL line on the xl0 side (for packets
arriving and leaving xl0).  The commands that I use are:

sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
sysctl -w net.link.ether.ipfw=1  # not sure whether this is needed

ipfw -f flush
ipfw -f pipe flush

ipfw add 65534 allow all from any to any    # just so i can login

ipfw add 65533 pipe 1 all from any to any out xmit xl0
ipfw add 65533 pipe 2 all from any to any in recv xl0

ipfw pipe 1 config delay 20 bw 256K queue 50
ipfw pipe 2 config delay 13 bw 3M queue 50

pipe 2 works fine, but I couldn't get pipe 1 to work. ping to
and from the test machine shows a delay about 14 ms, i.e. from
the "in recv xl0" part.

If i change the configuration for pipe 1 to "in recv fxp0", it
would then work, but I think packets would be queued inside
ether_input/bdg_forward on the fxp0 side, rather than
ether_output_frame on the xl0 side.

Even though I have stared at it for the longest time, I can't
see anything wrong with pipe 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheng

--