Recompiled freebsd 5.4 cannot boot up with geom_mirror

Ng Pek Yong npekyong28 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 08:04:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

I am having some problem with geom_mirror on a freebsd
5.4.

I followed the steps described in
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
and got geom_mirror up on a stock freebsd 5.4,
including / partition itself.

The problem came when I compiled the kernel. After
pulling in the latest source tree, compiling and
installing the new kernel, I find that the OS can no
longer bootup.

I did with 2 kernel configurations. The 1st is
completely identical to the stock kernel config. The
2nd has an extra  line "options GEOM_MIRROR".
Both failed to boot up although the errors are
different.

1st config
----------
The boot process got stucked when it tries to mount /
The error message is something like this
        Mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a
        setrootbyname failed
        ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
        Root mount failed: 6

This is despite the fact that /boot/loader.conf has
specified the loading of geom_mirror.ko module; the
console message also indicate geom_mirror was
successfully loaded.

2nd config (with kernel option GEOM_MIRROR)
The boot process got stucked before it tries to mount
/
The last lines of the messages are
        Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1130454577 Hz
quality 800
        Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

Does anyone know what went wrong? Please reply me at
'npy @ vaccius . com'

Thanks!