Printing MAN pages

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Sep 8 15:37:42 PDT 2005

Stijn Hoop wrote:
[snip... sorry about the attributions]

>>>How about:
>>>
>>>	-t	Generate a Postscript version of the manpage, intended for
>>>		printing, by using /usr/bin/groff -S -man to format the manual
>>>		page, passing the output to stdout.  The output from
>>>		/usr/bin/groff -S -man may need to be passed through some
>>>		filter or another before being printed.
>>>
>>>That way I can do /print in less and still get some useful hint.
>>
>>You all know that groff is thirdparty software, right?  We have to take
>>this with the groff developers, if the change is ever going to be
>>imported in FreeBSD.
>

> Hmm, no I didn't realize that. Guess that's too much work for such a minor
> change :(

Except that (if I read the thread right) the proposed change is
actually to the man page for man, not the man page for groff. ;)

Might suffer similar "ownership" and maintenance issues, but I doubt
it. If man's not part of the native BSD core, what is?

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348