Printing MAN pages

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Thu Sep 8 07:26:26 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:17:40AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to print 'man' pages. If I try a simple
> redirect, such as: "man foo > foo.txt" the new file is loaded with control
> symbols, etc. that are not really printable. I want to save the files if
> possible, and print them out at a later date. It that is not possible, how
> would I go about printing them out in real time?

$ gunzip -c `man -w ls` | groff -mdoc -Tps | lpr

delivers a nicely formatted postscript manpage for ls(1) to your printer.
I don't know if man can do it by itself.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.