Porting from LInux to FreeBSD

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein-freebsd-questions at theloosingend.net
Thu Sep 8 06:45:15 PDT 2005

* Deepak Naidu [2005-09-08 10:46 +0100]
>  2)How to i find memory, cpu information in freebsd,
>  apart from TOP. In linux we have free and
>  /pro/cpuinfo.  I dont see any files under /proc

You need to mount procfs on /proc to have files appear in /proc. However,
you won't find cpuinfo in there, just one folder for each running process.
You could however mount the linprocfs filesystm in /compat/linux/proc and
look at /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo et.al. You'd need to load the linux and
linprocfs kernel modules to do that.

To gather system information, these utils should provide a starting point:

dmesg(8)
sysctl(8)
kenv(1)
devinfo(8)