File system check fails on boot

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Mon Oct 31 02:27:55 PST 2005

At 02:06 AM 10/31/2005, Edward Lichtner wrote:
>Hi all,
>There's fire in the house... I recently inserted a USB memory stick and my
>5.4 Stable machine rebooted suddenly. I now get the following on boot :
>
>Starting file system checks :
>/dev/ad0s3a: UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=2900154
>/dev/ad0s3a: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>Automatic file system check failed; help!
>Oct. 30 20:14:53 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to
>single user mode
>
>When I run fsck, I get the folllowing :
>
>** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
>UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=2900154
>UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
>CLEAR? [yn]
>
>** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
>DUP/BAD I=2900154 OWNER=root MODE=100644
>SIZE=93 MTIME=Mar 25 04:13 2004
>FILE=/usr/ports/net/ldapbrowser/distinfo
>
>UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
>
>REMOVE? [yn]
>
>** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
>** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
>LINK COUNT DIR I=2 OWNER=root MODE=40755
>SIZE=512 MTIME=Oct 30 17:20 2005 COUNT 21 SHOULD BE 20
>ADJUST? [yn]
>
>UNREF FILE I=471058 OWNER=root MODE=100644
>SIZE=72 MTIME=Oct 30 19:03 2005
>RECONNECT? [yn]
>
>CLEAR? [yn]
>
>I then get similar messages for a dozen files, then :
>
>** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
>SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
>SALVAGE? [yn]
>
>BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
>SALVAGE? [yn]
>
>FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
>SALVAGE? [yn]
>
>And so on... Should I just answer yes to all questions and hope for the
>best, or is there a better way of saving the day ? Needless to say, my whole
>system is on /dev/ad0s3a.

Anytime a file system is not unmounted properly you'll get some
quantity of errors from fsck the next time the system tries to mount
it.  If there was no activity on the file system, fsck can typically
deal with things on it's own.  When there were open files and some
level of activity on the file system, you'll get the types of errors
that you are seeing now. Most of the time, just saying yes to
everything will work just fine, and you can move on.  fsck -y will
keep you from having to actually type 'y' at each prompt, which is
handy because sometimes there are a lot of those prompts.

>Also, what could have caused the problem ? I recently updated my kernel to
>include HFS support. Could it be linked ?

There's a port that will allow you to read hfs filesystems.  It's in
/usr/ports/emulators/hfs

-Glenn