ghostscript headaches

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Sun Oct 30 18:31:57 PST 2005

Micah wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running FBSD 5.4-release-p7.  I've had gs-gnu 7.07 installed from
> when I installed FBSD 5.3.  I just installed scribus and it needs a
> newer gs.  I set WITH_GHOSTSCRIPT_AFPL=yes, deinstalled gs-gnu,
> installed gs-afpl, and did a pkgdb -F.  Scribus now worked right but
> cups didn't.  I tried portupgrade -f cups\* but it failed in
> cups-pstoraster (see below).  I thought I'd try gs-gpl, but I can't find
> a WITH_GHOSTSCRIPT_GPL flag.  A few messages on freebsd.org seems to
> indicate that gs-gpl is the default, but then why am I stuck with
> gs-gnu?  Anyone have any words of advice on how to get an 8.x gs running
> on my machine with cups?
>
> Thanks,
> Micah
>
> trisha# pwd
> /usr/ports/print/cups-pstoraster
> trisha# make build
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  Extracting for cups-pstoraster-8.15
> => Checksum OK for ghostscript/espgs-8.15rc3-source.tar.bz2.
> ===>  Patching for cups-pstoraster-8.15
> ===>   cups-pstoraster-8.15 depends on file: /nonexistent - not found
> ===>    Verifying patch for /nonexistent in
> /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-afpl
> ===>   Returning to build of cups-pstoraster-8.15
> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for cups-pstoraster-8.15
> /bin/ln -sf
> /usr/ports/print/cups-pstoraster/work/espgs-8.15rc3/pstoraster/gdevcups.c
> $(/bin/realpath /usr/ports)/print/ghostscript-afpl/work/ghostscript/src
> ln: /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-afpl/work/ghostscript/src: No such file
> or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/print/cups-pstoraster.

After digging through patches and problem reports, I was able to piece
together something.  cups-pstoraster seems partially broken.  It works
with gs-gpl only if GHOSTSCRIPT_PORT=print/ghostscript-gpl.  I don't
know if it will work with gs-afpl.  I just don't want to recompile
everything again just to see if it works.  I now have a working cups
/and/ a working scribus and GHOSTSCRIPT_PORT set in my make.conf.

Later,
Micah