Canonical upgrade procedure for 6.0?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Oct 30 03:44:37 PST 2005

Hello Roland,
      Thanks for the response.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:28:35AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     Is there anywhere on the FreeBSD.org site that has any (even if semi-official) procedure for upgrading a FreeBSD-5Stable machine (i386) to 6.0?
>
> Chapter 20 of the Handbook details how to update your system with cvsup
> and how to rebuild your kernel+world.

I know about the procedures details in that chapter, however, I'm recalling the fact that at one point in time, there was a "migrating" link (http://www.freebsd.org/old/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html) on the old website that included, if you will, *the way* to migrate from FreeBSD-4 to FreeBSD-5 - that included changes and extra steps as against what is mentioned in chapter 20 in the Handbook.

Similarly (to me) in this scenario, in an upgrade from FreeBSD-5 to FreeBSD-6, I wondered if any correspondingly different changes / extra steps are required. My main reason for asking, is the fact that google searches on this matter return differing procedures (with varying sequences and numbers of steps) used by posters.

If chapter 20 is the way, then fair enough, but I thought it a simple thing to ask.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards,

Stacey