sysctl.conf (formerly packet forwarding)

Bob Middaugh bob.middaugh at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 05:00:42 PDT 2005

Yance Kowara writes:

Thank you for the clarification about setting GATEWAY (packet
forwarding) in systl.conf and rc.conf.

The handbook suggested that "Over five hundred system variables can be
read and set using sysctl(8)" ...

Any clue as to where I can see those "over five hundred system
variables"? ... just being curious ...

Also, is this sysctl.conf a unique feature of FreeBSD or a feature of
nay *NIX O/S?

Kind regards,

Yance

sysctl -a

Check out: http://sysctl.enderunix.org/index.php?tip_id=1&lang=en

There are 80+ documented there.  The sites goal is to get as many as
possible documented, so if you come across some that aren't there, and
you know what they do, please submit.

Someone was looking for window scaling, rfc 1323 covers that I think:
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 enables high performance TCP extensions

Bob