aclocal: not found

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:23:36 PDT 2005

Per Andrew P.'s suggestions, I've changed my ports updating scheme
from cvsup to portsnap in order to address some problems I was having
with interdependencies.

Unfortunately, I'm still running into trouble: no matter how I
try to install mbstring (pkg_add, making/installing in the ports
tree), it still fails.  Here are the results after I resorted to a
"portinstall -rRk php5-mbstring":
===>  PHPizing for php5-mbstring-5.0.5_1
aclocal: not found
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/converters/php5-mbstring.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa
/tmp/portinstall97852.15 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 409
packages found (-0 +1) . done]
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
       ! lang/php5 (php5-5.0.0.a3_2)   (install error)
       ! converters/php5-mbstring      (unknown build error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 14 ignored, 0 skipped and 2 failed

automake and autoconf are both installed.  Not sure what else to do
about "aclocal", or if that's truly the problem.

Any ideas on the problem or a possible solution?  I didn't reap much info
from Google or the list archives.

Thank you,
~John

%uname -a
FreeBSD zurg.thedestefanos.com 5.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5
#0: Sun Mar 20 13:34:04 EST 2005
root at zurg.thedestefanos.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386