default routing question ZIPB ADSL PPPoA

Ahnjoan Amous ahnjoan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 20:22:41 PDT 2005

The short : I believe the problem I am having is due to routing. A DHCP
server sends me IP A.B.C.D with a default route of A.B.C.D. "dhclient" isn't
handling this well and I don't know how to fix it. Windows as well as Linux
DHCP clients do not have a problem with this and I am at my wits end trying
to figure out what combination of route commands will fix my issue.

The long : I have a CellPipe ADSL router/bridge from Lucent. This device is
provided by our ISP. I am exploring the ZIPB functionality of the device to
allow my FreeBSD host to own the public IP. The basics of the configuration
for those unfamiliar is as follows. PPPoA is established by the device and
the the (public) IP acquired through the previous process is delivered to a
host behind that CellPipe via DHCP. After DHCP the device acts as a
"bridge", allowing the internal device to use the public IP as its own. I'm
sure this description is vague but I don't know any other way to explain.

Info : After dhclient acquires its info the ethernet interface looks like
this
ifconfig ethernet interface – inet A.B.C.D netmask
255.255.255.255<http://255.255.255.255/>

When I connect a windows or Linux host they seem to treat the interface as
the default route and work as expected. With FreeBSD I have tried removing
all routes for the device after assignment, and then adding default route
based on -interface flag for route command. I have also tried opening up the
netmask on the ethernet interface and adding a default route destined for
what I know the PPPoA connections end point is.

Nothing I have tried seems to work. I don't consider myself an expert by any
means but this is clearly beyond my knowledge.

I'm happy to provide any information you need it you have an idea.

Thanks

Ahnjoan