How do I chroot rsync like I chroot ftp ?

user user at dhp.com
Fri Oct 21 16:20:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 21), user said:
> > Generally I chroot ftp users by simply adding their username to
> > /etc/ftpchroot.  In older days, I used login.conf, etc.
> >
> > The point is, it's easy to take a specific user and set a chroot that
> > applies to what they can see when they use ftp.
> >
> > What is the equivalent mechanism for rsync ?
>
> See the rsyncd.conf manpage; it explains how to chroot rsyncd.

Yes ... I saw that ... is there anyway to "chroot" rsync over ssh, so I
can use public keys and not run the actual rsync server ?

I'd like to do the same thing with rdist as well, and am not sure ... how
that would even work.  I do rdist now over ssh, and it works fine, but
... not sure how to get rdist users to only see their own directory.

Is it possible taht what I really want to do is chroot ssh, if I am doing
all of my rsync/rdist over ssh ?