PPP setup through OS X

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri Oct 21 13:33:01 PDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 8:53 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Live-Wire <livewire at echotrace.com> writes:
>

>> I'm going to be connecting my 5.4 box w/ no monitor to my network,
>> but
>> before I move it to the router area I want to make sure
>> I'll be able to change the network configuration without lugging the
>> box back to where I can plug it into a monitor. Is there a guide
>> or reference to plugging in my Mac OS X laptop directly into my box
>> with PPP to configure it for the network? What other issues
>> do I have to be aware of?
>>

> I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for.
> You will probably need to look elsewhere for help configuring your
> Mac.
> For the FreeBSD side, there are pages in the handbook, as well as the
> ppp(8) manual.  Let us know what you've tried, and what went wrong.

You can do this by simply enabling your FBSD server's serial port.  I
do this on two different machines and things work great.  Also note
that I used to handle this with my PowerBook G4.  You're going to
probably need a USB->Serial Port adapter.  I would recommend the
Keyspan model.  I don't remember what terminal software I used to use
as I also have a windows laptop now that I use when I must connect to
the BSD boxes via serial.

HTH