removable usb media don't present devices to mount

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Fri Oct 21 11:03:37 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:01:00PM +0000, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote:

>    4. Re: removable usb media don't present devices to mount
>       (Ryan Zeigler)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 04:29 pm, you wrote:
> > Ryan Zeigler wrote:
> > >I'm using FreeBSD 6.0-rc1, and I'm having trouble with removable usb
> > > memory drives.  I plug the device in, and get this from dmesg:
> > >
> > >umass0: LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE2, rev 2.00/1.25, addr 2
> > >
> > >There is no mention at all of /dev/da0, which is, as I understand it, the
> > >device that is traditionally presented to mount.  usbdevs sees the device,
> > >and gives this output.
> > >
> > >port 8 addr 2: high speed, power 70 mA, config 1, JUMPDRIVE2(0xa300),
> > > LEXAR MEDIA(0x05dc), rev 1.25
> > >
> > >This occurs both with GENERIC kernels, and a custom kernel that I
> > > configured. The custom configuration is listed here:
> > >http://www.dickinson.edu/~zeiglerr/STRMKERNEL

That kernel config in the relevant parts is almost identical to mine,
and I'm using a SanDisk USB thingum w/o problem.

> > >da0: 250MB (512000 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 250C)
> > >(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x10, scsi
> > > status == 0x0

Looking via google, I see some mention of the "Synchronize cache
failed" text; no resolution(s), though.

> > >One last little bit of interest, booting hangs immediately before
> > > attempting to mount / if I boot with the device plugged in.  Booting
> > > continues normally when I unplug the device.  I am not sure if this is
> > > significant.

WAG: is this indicative of an interrupt storm?

> > How are you mounting the drive?  Here is what works for me:
> > mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
> >
> > Rem
>
> Same type error.  I do not have /dev/da0s1 either.  Also, on a whim, I tried
> mknod /dev/da0.  That didn't work.

Take a look at it via /stand/sysinstall -> Fdisk? Maybe it will show
up there....

--
.sig is .tired.