Portupgrade problem

Craig Deal craig at advantagecomputer.biz
Thu Oct 20 07:34:11 PDT 2005

That's ok, I'm used to it since I mainly deal with windows (till now
anyway).

> If you want to keep your packages up-to-date, I recommend
> updating your ports tree with cvsup and then using
> portupgrade or portmanager get the updates.

What is the best way to keep the system up-to-date if you use packages? The
manual is fairly clear if you use ports, but things get kinda vague (for me
anyway) when it comes to packages. I have successfully installed (from
packages) a working system with
FreeBSD/Postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin/Clamav/F-Prot/Postgrey/etc, and I
want to make sure I can keep the packages updated without crashing the
system.

I ran:
cvsup -h cvsup1.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
cd /usr/ports/ && make fetchindex
pkgdb -uvF
portsdb -u
portupgrade -arPP"

but nothing got updated. It said everything was current. When I ran
pkg_version, the majority of the packages had this "<". After that I used
"portupgrade -arR" and it updated some packages from the ports tree. I would
prefer to use only packages, but it fetches from the .../packages-5-release,
which is not current.

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig