libdl.so.2 not found for java plugin

N Deepak deep at symonds.net
Tue Oct 18 23:18:07 PDT 2005

Hi,

  I am trying to get Java plug-in for Mozilla working.  I have read the
  handbook and compiled/installed ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14/

  I can execute /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin/java.

  When I symlink libjavaplugin_oji.so from
  /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/ to the plugin path in jdk directory, I
  get this error message on starting Mozilla:

  LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
  /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
  [Shared object "libdl.so.2" not found, required by
  "libjavaplugin_oji.so"]

  Help, please!

  Other options I have tried:
  jdk1.3	-> java binary crashes ('OUCH: nested memory code, to 1
  levels')
  native jdk1.5	-> compile stops after a series of errors ('Java
  HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
  location')

  (I am using FreeBSD 5.3, linprocfs is mounted)

Regards,
Deepak