kldload snd_driver locks up 5.4-STABLE

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Oct 17 05:29:21 PDT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 07:12, Andrew P. wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Annelise Anderson <andrsn at andrsn.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > Can you try to compile it in your kernel?

Modules are the way to go. Compiling in-kernel is really only needed if you
need some option that isn't available as a sysctl or if you need a device for
which there is no module.

> > I'm not sure what "it" is in this case--/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES
> > has nothing about audio.

Audio is arch independent: /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES

> device sound # for basic support
> device snd_XXXX # if you know what card you have
>
> BTW, what sound card fo you have?

An onboard chip, my guess would be snd_ich (Intel and others).
Yours may be of the "some more audio controllers embedded in a chipset"
category and may not be supported at all or half... You may want to ask
multimedia@

> Use lspci util from the pciutils port to find out.

pciconf -lv
No port needed.

If you find out which snd_blah you need and it still panics if you kldload
that one, you should send a PR about it.

HTH,

Dan