Recommended partitioning

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Oct 17 01:50:27 PDT 2005

On 2005-10-16 14:50, John Oxley <john at yoafrica.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:01:01PM -0400, Teo De Las Heras wrote:
> >  Part Size
> > / 10G - for both the / and /usr files
> > (swap) 2G
> > /var 10G - Web server, print spool, other log files??
> > /var/mail 10G - for all mail files and easy backup
> > /home 50G - for all user files
> > /home/teo 40G - For my files and easy backup
> > *The rest of the space I'll leave unused in case I need to grow a partition
> >  I'm new to FreeBSD/*Nix so all criticism is welcome.
>
> Keep / small, around 200MB, and split user from this.  You'll understand
> why as soon as something nasty happens while you're writing to /usr and
> the machine falls over.  You can still boot because / is mainly static.
>
> put 10-20 gigs in usr.  When you build ports, they use space in /usr (by
> default. You can change this) which is why I say 20 gigs.
>
> 256M in /tmp is fine

A very good suggestion, if you can spare a bit of memory (or swap) is to
use a memory-backed fs for /tmp (see the ``tmpmfs*'' options in rc.conf
manual page):

	% man.rc.conf

Even a swap-backed /tmp may be a good idea, if you don't really want to
allocate a large root partition, just for the sake of /tmp files.