Recommended partitioning

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 18:51:11 PDT 2005

On 10/16/05, Teo De Las Heras <teoheras at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

FreeBSD is flexible enough to handle any directory
layout you like. No matter what background you
come from, you can always turn a few knobs -
and make yourself at home.

But if you want to stay with FreeBSD for some
time, if you want to know it better, it's best to
accept the installer's defaults - and get used
to them then. Minimum /, small /var and /tmp,
huge /usr - where all huge things are meant
to be, including web content, home dirs and
even huge logs and huge temporary files.

The talk is that hier and partitioning might
need some brushing up, but for now, if
you stick to it, you'll find it hard to run into
real trouble when you're left with no solution
other than repartitioning your whole disk.